The Quilt Shop is hosting a hands-on training session on October 17-19th here at the shop. The Handi Quilter van is bringing six Amara machines with Pro Stitchers on training frames. Two students are allocated to each frame so that limits our class sizes to 12 per class.
Here are our class offerings:
Day 1: Longarm Quilting Basics (All day, 2 - 3 hour sessions)
Class description - Does longarm quilting interest you, and you’d like to learn more about it? Or do you just want a review of longarm basics? This class removes the mystery of longarm quilting by explaining machine and frame elements and features, how to load a quilt, and vital facts about thread, needles and tension.
• Basic machine and frame elements and features
• Bobbins, tension, needles, and thread
• How to load a quilt onto a frame
• Quilting with Groovy Boards and pantographs
• Rulers, Micro Handles, and basic free motion
Day 2: Morning - Fast, Fun, and Fabulous Free Motion Quilting (3 hrs)
Class Description - Quilters everywhere LOVE the excitement and fun of free motion quilting – and it’s easier than you think! Create flowing designs by connecting simple design elements with continuous lines, traveling across the quilt or filling in a specific area. Learn how drawing and muscle memory contribute to beautiful free motion quilting, and how to create stunning designs.
• How to develop an inventory of free motion designs
• Proper scaling and spacing of design elements
• Edge to edge free motion quilting
• Adjusting your quilting path to create your own new designs
• Using Micro Handles for free-motion control
Day 2: Afternoon - Ruler Essentials (3 hrs)
Class Description: If you love precision and consistency in your quilting designs, you will love using design rulers and templates! These handy tools assist in placing designs accurately and stitching them out precisely. Learn to handle rulers and templates safely with the ruler base and Sure Foot, and how to achieve accuracy with the markings. The wide variety of Handi Quilter rulers will inspire you to new design heights.
• Handle rulers safely
• Understand and use ruler markings for precision and accuracy
• Use piecing lines and marking tools to build ruler design confidence
• Versa tool quilting: stitch-in-the-ditch, cross-hatch, piano keys, clamshells, and arcs
• Apply binding with the HQ VersaTool®
Day 3: Intro to Pro-Stitcher Part 1 & 2 (All day, 2 - 3 hour sessions)
Class Description: Pro-Stitcher is an intuitive computer-guided quilting system designed especially for use with Handi Quilter longarm quilting machines. User-friendly and simple to operate, the step-by-step process for each function is easy and fun. Whether finishing your own quilts or considering a quilting business, come see the elegant and precise quilting you can accomplish with a Pro-Stitcher. New owners – start here!
• Overview of support resources available on-line
• Overview of menu and basic functions and design catalog
• Fit a design to a block using Skew and Resize, XForm and Align
• Demonstration of the Pro-Stitcher Simulator
• Overview of Art & Stitch
Part 2 – Let’s Quilt
This class moves beginners from overview to quilting applications.
This class of quilting applications is an extension of Part 1 and addresses specific functions and basic techniques a quilter will use on a regular basis to finish quilts with the HQ Pro-Stitcher. Tips and shortcuts for using features of the program are included.
• What’s the difference between Reposition, Nudge and Drag and Drop?
• The many ways to describe an Area on your quilt
• Using Skew 1 vs Skew 2
• Set up, crop, wrap and advance edge-to-edge designs
• Quilt straight lines the easy way with Move and Channel Locks
Cost for all classes is $75 per session. Since day 1 & 3 are all day classes, we will be providing lunch. When you register for the class, you will be given options to choose from.
Each class is limited to 12 students so get your reservation in soon as classes are already filling up. You can call us at 800-455-9471 x 435 or sign up here.